My affair with a student.

When I watched that Dateline special last week on Debra LaFave, the teacher than slept with one of her students, I was brought back to ten years ago when I too had an affair with one of my students. She was young, intelligent and very attractive. My situation was different from the teacher in question, as I made the decision to quit teaching as a result of the conflict. While our affair never became public knowledge, I didn't want to ruin my reputation or the future of my lover. After I left teaching, we continued our affair until he moved away to college.
Looking back I question my decisions to not only have the affair with a student in the first place, but to then give up the career that I had worked so hard to build for myself. Employed in the health care field, I find it comforting to be able to take care of people, however I would much rather be teaching. I miss it.

No comments: