Trading secrets

After being employed for the same corporation for over twenty years I have had enough. Enough working overtime without proper pay, enough being mistreated by superiors as well as enough of not getting promoted when I should have been promoted above those same aforementioned supervisors.

...The place was loud and boisterous which worked in our favor. No one could hear us talk...


A few years ago at Comdex I was working the booth when I was approached by a man that told me he was working for a rival firm. After discussing our products with him, he informed me that he was rather interested in the products we manufactured and would love to get his hands on any technical reports, calculations, analyses and studies that I could obtain. At the time I had no interest in this knowing that it was both illegal as well as unethical. He gave me his card and I filed the idea as well as his card in my Rolodex assuming we’d never speak again.

I revisited his ideas and offer months ago after yet another incident with a technical manager at work. This was the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back. I searched until I found the card buried beneath other cards that I filed.

I called the man. He suggested we get together for dinner at Ben Benson’s. Not a big steak fan but since he offered to pick up the tab I was not going to argue. Arriving a few minutes early I found him already waiting. The place was loud and boisterous which worked in our favor. No one could hear us talk.

...I made a deal to provide him with some of the technical specifications of the products we manufacture...


After talking for just over an hour while enjoying steaks and a few drinks, I made a deal to provide him with some of the technical specifications of the products we manufacture. He would provide me with a decent supplement to my income and I would provide him with what he wanted.

Wrong? Yes.
Worth the money? Yes.
Worth losing my job? Depends on when/if I am caught.

This is a story I cannot tell for obvious reasons. I feel guilt on occasion yet relieved when I am paid. As I move closer to retirement my level of stress decreases as I am to better plan for my future after employment. It was apparent that this corporation was not going to take care of me, so I am going to take care of myself.


Name kept secret
Locations kept secret

No comments: